NASHVILLE, Tenn., Jan. 3, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Brookdale Senior Living is proud to announce that 25 of its senior living communities have earned the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) ENERGY STAR® certification.
ENERGY STAR® is the government program designed to help consumers, businesses and agencies save money by using energy more efficiently.
To earn this certification, the buildings must perform in the top 25 percent of similar facilities nationwide. ENERGY STAR® certified buildings use an average of 35 percent less energy than typical buildings and also release an average of 35 percent less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, while meeting strict requirements to ensure occupant comfort.
In 2017, Brookdale installed more than 48,000 energy-saving occupancy sensors across the system. These sensors automatically turn off lights in common areas. The company also reduced water usage by installing high efficiency water fixtures.
"I’m incredibly proud of our communities that have been recognized with the EPA’s ENERGY STAR® certification," said Marla Thalheimer, director of sustainability at Brookdale Senior Living. "This achievement is a true reflection of the commitment we have to operating responsibly. By saving energy, we’re also saving money on the cost of powering our buildings."
Brookdale communities that received the ENERGY STAR® certification include:
- Brookdale Heritage Palmeras (Sun City, Ariz.)
- Brookdale Altamonte Springs (Altamonte Springs, Fla.)
- Brookdale Avondale (Jacksonville, Fla.)
- Brookdale Downtown Sarasota (Sarasota, Fla.)
- Brookdale Gainesville Southwest (Gainesville, Fla.)
- Brookdale Lutz (Lutz, Fla.)
- Brookdale Orange City (Orange City, Fla.)
- Brookdale Pensacola (Pensacola, Fla.)
- Brookdale Safety Harbor (Clearwater, Fla.)
- Brookdale Vero Beach (Vero Beach, Fla.)
- Bella Vita Venice (Venice, Fla.)
- Horizon Bay Tamarac 1 (Tamarac, Fla.)
- Horizon Bay Tamarac Clare Bridge Place (Tamarac, Fla.)
- Brookdale Buford (Buford, Ga.)
- Brookdale Marietta AL/MC (Marietta, Ga.)
- Brookdale Santa Fe (Santa Fe, N.M.)
- Brookdale Deer Park (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Brookdale Village (Oklahoma City, Okla.)
- Brookdale Grants Pass Village (Grants Pass, Ore.)
- Brookdale North Richland Hills (North Richland Hills, Texas)
- Brookdale Round Rock (Austin, Texas)
- Brookdale San Marcos North (San Marcos, Texas)
- Brookdale Southgate (Saint George, Utah)
- Brookdale Appleton (Appleton, Wis.)
- Brookdale Stevens Point (Stevens Point, Wis.)
The number of Brookdale communities receiving the EPA certification increased from 21 to 25 this year. "We’re excited to continue to grow the sustainability initiative at Brookdale," said Thalheimer. "Improving the energy efficiency of our communities is important to the mission of Brookdale and is vital to protecting our environment."
Brookdale Senior Living Inc. is the leading operator of senior living communities throughout the United States. The Company is committed to providing senior living solutions primarily within properties that are designed, purpose-built and operated to provide the highest-quality service, care and living accommodations for residents. Brookdale operates independent living, assisted living, and dementia-care communities and continuing care retirement centers, with approximately 1,031 communities in 46 states and the ability to serve approximately 101,000 residents as of September 30, 2017. Through its ancillary services program, the Company also offers a range of outpatient therapy, home health and hospice services.
Contact: Heather Hunter, 615-564-8622, email@example.com
SOURCE Brookdale Senior Living